Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A young man employed to do routine tasks in a business office.
- ‘He started as an office boy and worked his way up to a place where he can laugh.’
- ‘He left school at 15 and began work as an office boy at his local electricity service provider.’
- ‘Jack was also the guy who mistook Gates for an office boy at the start of that meeting.’
- ‘Even the office boy knows that, given the current strength of the economy, with strong growth and labour and other shortages, stimulating further spending by tax cuts is foolish.’
- ‘He had joined the Railway Works as an office boy, and his duties involved walking through workshops where asbestos was used.’
- ‘He began his life as an office boy and rose to become a cinema hall owner and producer.’
- ‘He then worked as an office boy; studied shorthand; and became reporter of debates in the Commons for the Morning Chronicle.’
- ‘He left school early to work as an office boy in a London underwriting and insurance company.’
- ‘His first art work experience was as an office boy and apprentice artist for Harper's Bazaar magazine drawing shoes.’
- ‘He began his working life as an office boy in City Hall at the age of 12.’
- ‘I immediately reported to the parking attendance and security personnel on duty, witnessed by my office boy.’
- ‘Marvin, who was an office boy at the agency, is brought in later when pupil numbers increase.’
- ‘He started as an office boy at Swindon but he used to walk through the workshops where asbestos was being used.’
- ‘Notice the men in the foreground standing at their desks and the office boy towards the right in his stiff white collar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.