One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person holding a position of authority in an organization.
- ‘The Markaz and the Lashkar-e-Toiba are extremely secretive organisations and take great care to conceal the identities of their office-bearers.’
- ‘In fact, the well-read office-bearers of the organisation would not utter a word about the incident, when mediapersons sought their response to it.’
- ‘At a provincial congress the DA elects its office-bearers, proposes, debates and adopts motions and nominates its delegates to the federal congress.’
- ‘Other office-bearers were elected unanimously.’
- ‘Sometimes Ministers and other senior political office-bearers are placed on boards of State-owned enterprises, where they also earn a fee.’
- ‘Were we more transparent with our so-called declaration of interests of top political office-bearers, we might know more, but this is not the case at present.’
- ‘In his absence the sessions were chaired by the office-bearers of the congregation.’
- ‘An office-bearer put it simply, ‘If we government doctors do not help the government medical colleges, who will?’’
- ‘Party office-bearers within his electorate, which covers much of inland Queensland, have opposed the National Party standing a candidate against him.’
- ‘Having been formally elected for a three-year term, Naidu is unlikely to lose his post, but all the other office-bearers remain on tenterhooks.’
- ‘The organisers and the office-bearers have strained every nerve possible to make the tournament a resounding success.’
- ‘It is something from which all ministers and office-bearers would benefit greatly.’
- ‘The new office-bearers decided to honour their sentiment and decided to revive the publication.’
- ‘She is still the only female advocate to have served as an office-bearer, and a portrait honours her achievement.’
- ‘The police have now roped in the residents' associations and are organising meetings of the association office-bearers in their efforts for better policing of the capital region.’
- ‘The entire school wore a festive look with the office-bearers of the alumni association and students leaving no stone unturned to make the moment a memorable one.’
- ‘This week, it became known that the authority responsible for remuneration levels of parliamentarians was recommending an increase of 7% for office-bearers such as ministers.’
- ‘The office-bearers will be meeting in Kolkata over the next couple of days.’
- ‘The office-bearers of the collective are working on evolving a network of theatre artistes across the State by the time the body's first annual meeting will be convened.’
- ‘Though the students pay for it, office-bearers of managements of most private affiliated colleges use the magazines for self-publicity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.