One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I quaked a little when I heard that, but he said it in such a casual, almost offhanded way, he made it seem possible.’
- ‘Evan seemed suddenly confused, and for once didn't have an offhanded dismissal to offer up.’
- ‘Kids were suddenly seen in a different light, with many schools hiring police, instituting weapons checks and scrutinizing every offhanded comment.’
- ‘However, while the ideas expressed in these interviews may lack the benefits of hindsight, they do not come across as offhanded or unstudied.’
- ‘‘Whatever,’ I dismissed him in an offhanded manner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.