Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The price at which a market-maker or institution is prepared to sell securities or other assets.Compare with bid price
- ‘As long as the energy company buys at a lower bid price than it sells at its offer price, it earns the bid-ask spread on trading volume.’
- ‘They assume that the means of the stochastic terms in both the reservation price and the offer price equations are zero, and so implicitly define the true price differently than we do.’
- ‘Consequently, from the perspective of the issuing company, the increase between the offer price and the open price represents ‘money left on the table.’’
- ‘Underwriting commissions were due to be paid at a rate of 3.1 per cent of the product of the offer price, with a further 2.6 per cent on additional shares sold if the float was oversubscribed.’
- ‘Underpricing is estimated using the offer price and the opening price on the first day of trading.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.