One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.‘he sounded rather offended’
upset, hurt, wounded, injured, insulted, aggrieved, affronted, pained, displeased, distressed, disgruntled, put out, annoyed, angered, angry, cross, exasperated, indignant, irritated, vexed, piqued, irked, stung, galled, nettled, needled, peeved, ruffled, resentful, in a huff, huffy, in high dudgeon, fed upView synonyms
- ‘What great art or entertainment is stillborn today, afraid of reprisals from some easily offended group with an axe to grind?’
- ‘If he spits in the face of deeply held Labour beliefs, he must not be surprised if offended party members retaliate.’
- ‘‘I sent it Special Delivery on Tuesday,’ said the slightly shocked and offended voice on the other end of the phone at the fashion boutique.’
- ‘The apology must be delayed long enough to recognise the hurt felt by the offended victim - but proffered before there is lasting harm.’
- ‘The offended students said the flier had disrupted a meeting, an assertion that became the basis of disciplinary action.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.