One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a dress or blouse) not covering the shoulders.
- ‘Her off-the-shoulder gown, which she disliked intensely, was made of fifty yards of ivory silk taffeta.’
- ‘She was standing there with her back toward me; the red off-the-shoulder dress she wore was especially stunning.’
- ‘Today, she was wearing a vest of deep amber color over a cream colored off-the-shoulder blouse.’
- ‘The spring women's line features off-the-shoulder blouses, miniskirts and hipster trousers.’
- ‘I loved how the wind blew though my very hair and I felt like some sort of angel walking though the street with my off-the-shoulder blouse and jeans and new sneakers.’
- ‘I purchased a reasonably priced poncho, a cute t-shirt that says Silly boy, trucks are for chicks!, two pairs of pants and a pretty off-the-shoulder shirt.’
- ‘The figure's off-the-shoulder dress illustrates a certain degree of wealth, as well as her skill at rendering lace and shimmering black silk folds.’
- ‘The bride, given in marriage by her father, looked radiant in an off-the-shoulder white satin dress with long train and beaded detail.’
- ‘With her coiffed hair and off-the-shoulder velvet and taffeta cocktail dress she is the most striking woman on the dance floor.’
- ‘They wore antique gold off-the-shoulder dresses, and tiaras, and carried smaller versions of the bride's bouquet.’
- ‘She was decked out in a pair of expensive jeans with artfully studded rhinestones, an off-the-shoulder shirt in pale pink, heels that I'd never before seen in her closet, and stunning, yet simple jewelry.’
- ‘Her silk damask off-the-shoulder dress possibly suggests a later eighteenth-century date.’
- ‘Her gown was off-the-shoulder but modest, white lace around her neck-line and made of ivory satin her mother had bought years ago and reserved for a special occasion.’
- ‘It was gorgeous; pale blue silk with an off-the-shoulder bodice and cap sleeves, the neckline was trimmed with ribbons of a darker blue.’
- ‘The bride wore an ivory off-the-shoulder gown with embroidery and pearl detail on the back, a full-length train and a shoulder-length veil.’
- ‘It was a serious contrast to my skater-style, black off-the-shoulder shirt and baggy jeans.’
- ‘I was dressed in a tight black off-the-shoulder top baring several inches of my toned, flat stomach and extremely low-slung stonewashed jeans.’
- ‘The women wore simple, off-the-shoulder gowns of a creamy hue, streaked with garish color, almost as if from fluorescent highlighters.’
- ‘An aging woman in a glistening green off-the-shoulder gown is spotlighted from the front.’
- ‘Abbey looked gorgeous in a white off-the-shoulder gown of the finest silk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.