adjective & adverb
Not in contact with or playing the ball.
- ‘The presentation dwelt on coaching aspects such as receiving the ball, off-the-ball running and strategies.’
- ‘He was shown the red card for an off-the-ball incident at a stage of the game when emotions were riding high.’
- ‘It's the time-wasting antics, the feigning of injuries, the cynical fouling, the verbal taunting and off-the-ball intimidation that are blocking the arteries to a healthier game.’
- ‘He was given a straight red card following an off-the-ball offence.’
- ‘He could easily have been sent off for his crude off-the-ball lunge.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.