One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The part of the market in alcoholic drinks which is made up of off-sales.
- ‘The impact that this may have on the on-trade and the off-trade is unquantifiable at this stage and won't be seen in the February 2004 12-month figures.’
- ‘At least one in every 20 bottles of wine sold in the off-trade now is rosé - roughly twice the figure in the late 1990s.’
- ‘Prices were not increased in the off-trade, where there was greater price competition.’
- ‘The problem required a re-adaptation of the marketing spend, sharing the pain with the on-trade and off-trade, and significant investment in new product development.’
- ‘Amstel lager, a staple of the off-trade since 1996, has been launched on draught at 100 pubs in Dublin.’
- ‘However, the growth in the off-trade has also been spurred by increased price competition from an influx of cheaper imports.’
- ‘With significantly lower barriers to entry than the on-trade, the off-trade is becoming increasingly competitive.’
- ‘The forthcoming licensing legislation must look at both the on and off-trade.’
- ‘The consumer drift from pubs to the off-trade has accelerated.’
- ‘What has been reported in the UK press as the world's strongest beer is to go on sale in the UK off-trade.’
- ‘The brand fundamentals have held up well in the off-trade, and we have not been prepared to undermine its premium position by discounting it.’
- ‘A shift from on-trade to off-trade is the likeliest outcome of the ‘disruption’ that Scottish & Newcastle's UK boss spoke about last week.’
- ‘Through its franchises, the company claims a 7 per cent share of the total off-trade.’
- ‘It's such an important brand in the off-trade that retailers decide on their own to discount it, and we can't stop them.’
- ‘The €2 billion off-trade, until the on-trade's recent mini revival, was growing at the rate of about 8% each year.’
- ‘These are the factors that have driven the off-trade ever since.’
- ‘Meaney is forecasting a drop of about 4 per cent this year, but said the off-trade would grow, fuelled by cans and bottles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.