One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The dressing on the Caesar salad was off-puttingly sweet.’
- ‘Far be it from me to suggest that anyone should find cooking with wine in Britain off-puttingly expensive, but thanks to our high taxes, it is not cheap.’
- ‘Like the stonework, all other parts are made with visual clues and are crisply detailed, without being off-puttingly austere.’
- ‘While no one disputes his ability to lift 900 pounds, some have found his performance refreshingly unpracticed, others off-puttingly amateurish.’
- ‘I just did a reading for about 650 people, half of whom were, rather off-puttingly, in another room watching me on a big screen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.