One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting an element of a square matrix that is not on the diagonal running from the upper left to the lower right.
- ‘In this symmetric case, the stability matrix A has all diagonal elements equal and all off-diagonal elements equal.’
- ‘The main diagonal of the matrix contains the correct responses for each stimulus, whereas the incorrect/confused responses correspond to the off-diagonal elements.’
- ‘In contrast, the off-diagonal elements, representing autocorrelation across equations, are generally negative, although small in value.’
- ‘If the off-diagonal elements are nonzero, then the fixation probability is increased, because the invading sequence gets support from its mutational neighbors.’
- ‘The direct elasticities are given as the bold diagonal numbers and the off-diagonal estimates are cross-elasticities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.