Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting an element of a square matrix that is not on the diagonal running from the upper left to the lower right.
- ‘If the off-diagonal elements are nonzero, then the fixation probability is increased, because the invading sequence gets support from its mutational neighbors.’
- ‘The direct elasticities are given as the bold diagonal numbers and the off-diagonal estimates are cross-elasticities.’
- ‘In this symmetric case, the stability matrix A has all diagonal elements equal and all off-diagonal elements equal.’
- ‘In contrast, the off-diagonal elements, representing autocorrelation across equations, are generally negative, although small in value.’
- ‘The main diagonal of the matrix contains the correct responses for each stimulus, whereas the incorrect/confused responses correspond to the off-diagonal elements.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.