One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting an element of a square matrix that is not on the diagonal running from the upper left to the lower right.
- ‘In this symmetric case, the stability matrix A has all diagonal elements equal and all off-diagonal elements equal.’
- ‘In contrast, the off-diagonal elements, representing autocorrelation across equations, are generally negative, although small in value.’
- ‘The direct elasticities are given as the bold diagonal numbers and the off-diagonal estimates are cross-elasticities.’
- ‘The main diagonal of the matrix contains the correct responses for each stimulus, whereas the incorrect/confused responses correspond to the off-diagonal elements.’
- ‘If the off-diagonal elements are nonzero, then the fixation probability is increased, because the invading sequence gets support from its mutational neighbors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.