One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
No longer young (used politely or euphemistically)‘women of a certain age swooned over his acerbic wit’‘men of a certain age who still dream that they might have been a great football player in their youth’
- ‘Being of a certain age and background, I was wont to sport the occasional safety pin back in my teens.’
- ‘The enterprise will bring back memories to people of a certain age who remember a coffee bar in the shop next door when rock'n'roll was young.’
- ‘Women of a certain age and economic status are no longer willing to settle and simper.’
- ‘"I have some very lovely letters from gentlemen of a certain age," she says.’
- ‘It was full of ladies of a certain age in flowery swimming caps.’
- ‘You have to be of a certain age even to know who that is.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.