Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A recurring period of sexual receptivity and fertility in many female mammals; heat.‘a mare in oestrus’
- ‘However, if a female's cubs are killed (usually by an intruding male lion), then the female comes into estrus early and has more cubs.’
- ‘After producing a foal, her periods of estrus are more difficult to detect, and she remains with the father of her offspring.’
- ‘To assess whether shadowing was linked to estrus, we required an estimate of the likely estrous period for females.’
- ‘Women's sexuality is not limited to a specific period of estrus, as it is in almost all other mammals.’
- ‘Fillies began ovulating and advertising estrus by adopting a distinctive posture between one and two years of age.’
- ‘We collected female urine by bladder palpation and pooled the samples over 7-20 days per female to control for variation due to estrus.’
- ‘‘When the female is in estrus, breeding bulls that are 35 to 55 years old and in their prime can be many miles away,’ Garstang said.’
- ‘A beef cow has a 21-day estrous cycle, the period from one estrus, or heat, to the next.’
- ‘A female may come into her brief period of estrus at any time during the mating season, which runs from late November through mid-January.’
- ‘The number of males and the number of females in estrus within a 10 m radius of the male was recorded at each location.’
- ‘Females have a short estrus period of 3 to 5 days.’
- ‘The estrous cycle is 28 days with a 3 day period of estrus.’
- ‘Males will mate with females that inhabit their territory or seek out estrus females if no territory is established.’
- ‘Female chipmunks are in estrus for 1 day a year in late April or early May.’
- ‘The reproductive cycle has four stages: anestrus, proestrus, estrus, and diestrus.’
- ‘Around 18 hours after giving birth, females experience postpartum estrus, and mate again.’
- ‘Chenoweth described biostimulation as the positive stimulatory effects of a bull on estrus, ovulation, or pregnancy.’
- ‘Females that exhibit estrus during the feeding period have not consumed an adequate daily dose of MGA.’
- ‘This study involved the 29 females that showed estrus cycles with swellings during the 2002 mating season.’
- ‘Judging from mating rate, I found that female topi antelopes in estrus preferred lek males to resource defenders.’
Late 17th century: from Greek oistros gadfly or frenzy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.