Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A recurring period of sexual receptivity and fertility in many female mammals; heat.‘a mare in oestrus’
- ‘Around 18 hours after giving birth, females experience postpartum estrus, and mate again.’
- ‘Males will mate with females that inhabit their territory or seek out estrus females if no territory is established.’
- ‘However, it is also possible that in years of late snow-melt, pikas may lose litters or reabsorb litters and then breed again in post-partum estrus.’
- ‘However, existing evidence suggests that family breakups, onset of estrus, and breeding opportunities are linked.’
- ‘Fillies began ovulating and advertising estrus by adopting a distinctive posture between one and two years of age.’
- ‘Chenoweth described biostimulation as the positive stimulatory effects of a bull on estrus, ovulation, or pregnancy.’
- ‘Females have a short estrus period of 3 to 5 days.’
- ‘Female chipmunks are in estrus for 1 day a year in late April or early May.’
- ‘This study involved the 29 females that showed estrus cycles with swellings during the 2002 mating season.’
- ‘After producing a foal, her periods of estrus are more difficult to detect, and she remains with the father of her offspring.’
- ‘‘When the female is in estrus, breeding bulls that are 35 to 55 years old and in their prime can be many miles away,’ Garstang said.’
- ‘Therefore, if high population density results in increased contact between individuals, this may stimulate ovarian activity and synchronize estrus between females.’
- ‘Researchers in Africa have observed that bulls are always looking for mates, using smell and hearing to seek out females in estrus.’
- ‘To assess whether shadowing was linked to estrus, we required an estimate of the likely estrous period for females.’
- ‘The reproductive cycle has four stages: anestrus, proestrus, estrus, and diestrus.’
- ‘A beef cow has a 21-day estrous cycle, the period from one estrus, or heat, to the next.’
- ‘We collected female urine by bladder palpation and pooled the samples over 7-20 days per female to control for variation due to estrus.’
- ‘Females breed when they are in estrus - a brief period of ovulation that only occurs every two years and lasts just a few days.’
- ‘Women's sexuality is not limited to a specific period of estrus, as it is in almost all other mammals.’
- ‘The estrous cycle is 28 days with a 3 day period of estrus.’
- ‘The number of males and the number of females in estrus within a 10 m radius of the male was recorded at each location.’
- ‘A female may come into her brief period of estrus at any time during the mating season, which runs from late November through mid-January.’
- ‘However, if a female's cubs are killed (usually by an intruding male lion), then the female comes into estrus early and has more cubs.’
- ‘The number of males and the number of females in estrus within a 10-mile radius of the male was recorded at each location.’
- ‘Judging from mating rate, I found that female topi antelopes in estrus preferred lek males to resource defenders.’
- ‘In adult females, social rank modulates the length of behavioral estrus, with high ranked females mating for longer periods of time prior to ovulation than lowed rank females.’
- ‘Males mature more slowly; at three, they begin to pester mares in estrus and are driven out of their natal group.’
- ‘Two trials in Texas demonstrated a dramatic drop in pregnancy rates for females displaying estrus during June through September compared with earlier months.’
- ‘Females that exhibit estrus during the feeding period have not consumed an adequate daily dose of MGA.’
Late 17th century: from Greek oistros ‘gadfly or frenzy’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.