One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of wines.
- ‘The wine was bought directly from a local producer, picked more or less at random from our guide, who turned out to be a professor of oenology, no less.’
- ‘Torres began his wine career with a course in oenology at the University of Dijon in Burgundy.’
- ‘I was drawn to winemaking and studied for a degree in oenology.’
- ‘There's a practical, workhorse ethic about the school's enology and viticulture programs, where students learn winemaking on a commercial scale.’
- ‘Early on, Shari went back to school to study viticulture and enology at the University of California, Davis.’
- ‘The late science-fiction author Lester Del Rey was accustomed to declaring authoritatively on every subject from oenology to onomancy.’
- ‘‘The flower and composition of wine grapes is such a subtle thing,’ said Carole Meredith, a professor of viticulture and enology at the University of California at Davis.’
- ‘When modern professors of oenology see this in their nightmares, they wake up screaming.’
- ‘Crack open a bottle of Three-Buck Chuck and read along as Judge Bill Gibron schools you in the ways of enology.’
- ‘Nicholas's passion is not just acquired-in-France along with a great deal of oenology, it comes from within.’
- ‘Most are created by winemakers taught the same unimaginative standards of flavor, quality, and technique at enology schools the world over.’
- ‘She had a greater passion for the Pinot Noir her parents were making and set out to study enology in Beaune, France, for the edge of respect that a second-generation winemaker here might need.’
- ‘The curriculum is based on the existing beverage studies core that includes classes in beverage service, oenology and related areas.’
- ‘‘I read Maynard Amerine's book,’ he said, referring to the longtime University of California at Davis viticulture and enology professor.’
- ‘Crack open a bottle of wine and read along as he schools you in the ways of enology.’
- ‘Heitz then went on to Fresno State College in California, where he lectured in oenology for a few years.’
Early 19th century: from Greek oinos ‘wine’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.