Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having or giving off an odour:‘a dark and odorous cave’
foul-smelling, evil-smelling, smelly, stinking, reeking, reeky, malodorous, pungent, acrid, fetid, rankfragrant, scented, perfumed, aromatic, balmy, tangy, redolentView synonyms
- ‘Should the turkey spray you with an odorous substance after you kill it, you didn't kill a turkey.’
- ‘‘Comparisons’, one of Shakespeare's finest word-muddlers tell us, ‘are odorous.’’
- ‘I did not go to the loo once - I drank only a litre of water, when I got home my pee was dark brown and odorous.’
- ‘In one such pathway, binding of odorous molecules to their receptors activates G olf, a GTP-binding protein.’
- ‘And where would they keep the odorous billy-goat until he was needed for the next session?’
- ‘They spend most of the year cramped in dark, often odorous conditions, carrying the full weight of our bodies.’
- ‘But there are other companies in the area dealing with odorous products.’
- ‘I am not sure if all dumps are this smelly - I know that all dumps are odorous - but it was stinky.’
- ‘But what happens to these odorous, spring-laden behemoths?’
- ‘According to the manufacturer, newater is clearer, less odorous and less bacterial than the water people get from the Public Utilities Board.’
- ‘So you can imagine my surprise when I open the door to find two odorous men, half-heartedly mumbling that they're here to ‘move me’.’
- ‘It was a Naples of the north, ‘a picturesque, odorous, inconvenient, old - fashioned town’.’
- ‘It's worth the odorous torture because the need to travel runs through your veins.’
- ‘The afternoon we went there it was at its hottest and most odorous.’
Late Middle English: from Latin odorus fragrant (from odor odour) + -ous.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.