A predatory insect of the order Odonata; a dragonfly or damselfly.
- ‘Three main Types of odonate life cycle are encountered in temperate latitudes.’
- ‘My quick survey of the antennal structure of extant odonates and mayflies indicates that the flagellum is structurally different.’
- ‘The odonates were removed and preserved in 70% ethanol for later identification and counting.’
- ‘According to most studies, the main diet of adult odonates consists of small insects, especially Diptera (flies).’
- ‘They are encountered infrequently even in the heart of their range, and are among the most poorly known odonates in North America.’
Relating to or denoting odonates.
- ‘It is possible that odonate predation is not an important factor in the dynamics of this Ophiogomphus assemblage.’
- ‘Distance moved was not analyzed because it is well correlated with number of moves (position changes) in odonate larvae.’
- ‘A number of odonate species are currently endangered.’
- ‘This area is where odonate larvae exist, and is also where cattle grazing has the largest impact.’
- ‘Despite its relatively small size, Massachusetts hosts one of the most diverse odonate faunas known from any state, with at least 164 species recorded to date.’