Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A predatory insect of the order "Odonata" ; a dragonfly or damselfly.
- ‘They are encountered infrequently even in the heart of their range, and are among the most poorly known odonates in North America.’
- ‘Three main Types of odonate life cycle are encountered in temperate latitudes.’
- ‘The odonates were removed and preserved in 70% ethanol for later identification and counting.’
- ‘My quick survey of the antennal structure of extant odonates and mayflies indicates that the flagellum is structurally different.’
- ‘According to most studies, the main diet of adult odonates consists of small insects, especially Diptera (flies).’
Relating to or denoting odonates.
- ‘Distance moved was not analyzed because it is well correlated with number of moves (position changes) in odonate larvae.’
- ‘It is possible that odonate predation is not an important factor in the dynamics of this Ophiogomphus assemblage.’
- ‘Despite its relatively small size, Massachusetts hosts one of the most diverse odonate faunas known from any state, with at least 164 species recorded to date.’
- ‘This area is where odonate larvae exist, and is also where cattle grazing has the largest impact.’
- ‘A number of odonate species are currently endangered.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.