One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A predatory insect of the order Odonata; a dragonfly or damselfly.
- ‘My quick survey of the antennal structure of extant odonates and mayflies indicates that the flagellum is structurally different.’
- ‘They are encountered infrequently even in the heart of their range, and are among the most poorly known odonates in North America.’
- ‘The odonates were removed and preserved in 70% ethanol for later identification and counting.’
- ‘According to most studies, the main diet of adult odonates consists of small insects, especially Diptera (flies).’
- ‘Three main Types of odonate life cycle are encountered in temperate latitudes.’
Relating to or denoting odonates.
- ‘A number of odonate species are currently endangered.’
- ‘Distance moved was not analyzed because it is well correlated with number of moves (position changes) in odonate larvae.’
- ‘Despite its relatively small size, Massachusetts hosts one of the most diverse odonate faunas known from any state, with at least 164 species recorded to date.’
- ‘This area is where odonate larvae exist, and is also where cattle grazing has the largest impact.’
- ‘It is possible that odonate predation is not an important factor in the dynamics of this Ophiogomphus assemblage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.