One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Odisha, its people, or their language.
- ‘He said the BJD nominee is a "foreigner" who does not speak or understand Odia language.’
- ‘The BJD candidate and Odia film actor was elected unopposed after the nomination papers of the other two candidates were rejected.’
- ‘A doctor has started selling a healthy, traditional Odia snack on the roadside to propagate a culture of healthy eating among people.’
- ‘He said an Odia University would be set up to facilitate all round development of the language.’
- ‘All Goa Odia Association organized this special event to promote and publicize Odia culture outside Odisha.’
- ‘The accused, who acted in several Odia serials, had married her in 2010 after a few years of courtship.’
- ‘Some of the famous Odia films in which he acted as a hero include "Tapoi", "Asanta Graha", and "Sadhana".’
- ‘The company produced an Odia film while Sethy invested chit fund money to make some serials through the company.’
- ‘The awards were bestowed on two eminent contributors for their services to their respective art forms: Gotipua Guru Birabara Sahoo for dance and Rama Chandra Patihari for his contribution to Odia theatre.’
- ‘For the record, Eastern Media publishes the Odia daily Sambad.’
1A native or inhabitant of Odisha.
- ‘The early Odias were known for their history of sun worship.’
- ‘The Global Odisha Conference is an ambitious event to be held on July 1-2, 2015 to unite the Odias living abroad.’
- ‘Indian scientists, including an Odia, have developed a novel drug carrier that enables chemotherapy drugs to specifically target cancer cells without affecting non-cancerous ones.’
- ‘Overwhelmingly Hindu, the Odias have the class structure typical of Hindu societies.’
- ‘The Odia reached Punjab through Rajputana and gradually worked their way up until they found a supply of work which maintained them throughout the year.’
- ‘This event was a huge success, and was headed by Das, a proud Odia, who is the current President of India Association of Greater Tulsa.’
2mass noun The language of the Odia, an Indic language spoken by more than 31 million people.
- ‘The British had recognized Odia as an original language and created Odisha as a separate state in 1936, long before Independence.’
- ‘Though written in Hindi, the words are Odia and pronunciation is also in Odia.’
- ‘Despite being blind, he is a major social activist in Odisha and is the compiler of this Braille calendar in Odia.’
- ‘Odia, a 2,500 year old language, has recently gained the status of an Indian classical language.’
- ‘The group is planning to expand its news television network with two more regional language channels in Punjabi and Odia.’
- ‘He barely speaks Odia, remains reticent, a recluse.’
- ‘With the union cabinet approving the proposal, Odia became the sixth language of the country to get the classical language status.’
- ‘Odia is billed as the first language from the Indo-Aryan linguistic group.’
- ‘When he spoke, what touched my heart was his speaking in Odia.’
- ‘The speaker of the house ordered Rao to make statements only in English or the local language, Odia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.