One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ophthalmologist or optician.‘he visited an oculist in Chicago, who prescribed a pair of reading glasses’
- ‘Contrary to the advice of concerned oculists, these moviegoers are prepared to wear special glasses for more than two hours to experience the movie in 3-D.’
- ‘Today, he will have an artificial eye inserted by an oculist at the New Zealand Artificial Eye Service in Takapuna.’
- ‘At the age of 16 he began wearing a monocle, an unusual step for a young man even in 1939, after an oculist told him his right eye was weaker than his left eye.’
- ‘He was not a particularly good dog - he once bit the oculist who dared to lean over me and touch my face to adjust a new pair of glasses.’
- ‘Anne suffered from a weakness in her eyes from childhood and was sent to France to consult an oculist when she was four years old, she was to remain very short-sighted all her life and suffered from a squint.’
- ‘His grandfather, the legendary ‘Chevalier’ Taylor, had been oculist to George II, and afterwards, so his grandson assures us, to ‘every crowned head in Europe’.’
- ‘I went to the oculist who blandly told me I would need glasses by the time I was 47.’
- ‘Because these graduates prefer more lucrative jobs such as oculists, dentists or dermatologists, the country will soon encounter a lack of physicians in the four major fields of medicine in district hospitals, the report warns.’
- ‘On the days that a medical doctor, therapists and an oculist are available at the clinic, they have to make use of the sisters' offices.’
- ‘Obsessed with her health, she traveled with a retinue of surgeons, physicians, oculists, and apothecaries.’
- ‘An optometrist, ophthalmologist or oculist can make sure contact wearers have the right lenses and take care of them properly.’
- ‘In the 24 hours I have been carrying the book around in public I have received propositions on the bus, in an oculist's waiting room and from a passing chief executive.’
Late 16th century: from French oculiste, from Latin oculus ‘eye’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.