One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or using a system of numerical notation that has 8 rather than 10 as a base.
- ‘To use an access server, you'll need an octal cable.’
- ‘All he needs is an octal cable to connect his AS to the other devices we choose to use, and he's all set.’
- ‘Access servers are devices with an asynchronous port that an octal cable can connect to.’
- ‘Yellowstone, which was announced more than a year ago, uses an octal data rate to deliver data rates up to a theoretical maximum of 3.2 Gbits/s.’
- ‘Then convert each of these groups into one octal digit.’
The octal system; octal notation.‘the calculation should be done in binary or octal’
- ‘Working on networks, I find there's always a need to convert between decimal, hexadecimal, octal and binary.’
- ‘In addition to binary and decimal, computers can also speak in octal and hex.’
- ‘About the only thing this calculator lacks is the ability to switch from decimal to hex to octal to binary.’
- ‘We were taught to convert the usual base 10 into base 6 into base 4, into binary, into octal etc.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.