Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of science that deals with the physical and biological properties and phenomena of the sea.
- ‘After trying his hand at biological oceanography in college, Waltuck traveled throughout Europe for six months.’
- ‘Munk was honored with the 1999 Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences for his fundamental contributions to the field of oceanography.’
- ‘Both students are in the biological oceanography curricular group at Scripps.’
- ‘At the end of the '60s, earth sciences was added to the marine biology and oceanography degrees offered at Scripps.’
- ‘Physics and physical oceanography thus immediately became vital to the national war effort.’
- ‘These salinity changes are unprecedented in the relatively short history of the science of oceanography.’
- ‘I thought you weren't keeping up with what went on in the rest of the world outside of marine biology and oceanography.’
- ‘The National Research Council has ranked Scripps first in faculty quality among oceanography programs nationwide.’
- ‘I've been privileged to interact with many of the great scientists who led oceanography in the postwar era.’
- ‘In 1968, he was appointed professor of oceanography.’
- ‘Dynamic oceanography may result in dynamic recruitment success.’
- ‘This web of activity is made all the worse by the influence of microclimates, complex oceanography, and unique geographical features.’
- ‘That is in fact a very important part of the physical oceanography of the Great Barrier Reef.’
- ‘Ashore there will be a vast interactive exhibition area with displays on international marine technology, oceanography and ecology.’
- ‘Science on the reef embraces so many diverse and alluring fields: marine ecology, oceanography, plate tectonics, ethnobiology, and more.’
- ‘Climatology, evolutionary biology, oceanography, and plate tectonics all got a jump start from Challenger's results.’
- ‘A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Cane has written nearly 200 papers on a broad range of topics in oceanography and climatology.’
- ‘He specializes in ocean acoustics, signal processing and physical oceanography.’
- ‘In 1855, Maury wrote the first textbook on modern oceanography, The Physical Geography of the Sea and Its Meteorology.’
- ‘Interpretive exhibits highlight Scripps research as well as the history of oceanography.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.