One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A depression of the earth's surface in which an ocean lies.
- ‘Why and where additional regions of high biological activity occur farther from human eyes on ocean basin scales remains unstudied.’
- ‘The ocean basin with the best historical record, the North Atlantic, shows the smallest increase in stronger storms.’
- ‘These then flow from the high latitudes, circulating cool water throughout the world's ocean basins.’
- ‘The evidence presented here shows that an ocean basin is unlikely to have existed adjacent to the Ulukisla Basin after the latest Cretaceous time.’
- ‘In fact, the oldest sediment occurs at the far western edge of the biggest ocean basin of them all, the Pacific.’
- ‘‘Everywhere you go, in every ocean basin, our ‘hotspots’ today are only relics of what was once there,’ says Worm.’
- ‘So for example, it was hypothesised 30 years ago that a whale could communicate over an ocean basin to other animals.’
- ‘Even at those high speeds, however, a tsunami can take up to half a day to traverse an ocean basin.’
- ‘Since 1977, many other examples of deep-sea vent ecosystems have been found in virtually every ocean basin on Earth.’
- ‘The Arctic is an ocean basin with peripheral continents, whereas the Antarctic is continental.’
- ‘It has been interpreted as a remnant ocean basin and as a Permian-Triassic rift basin formed at a triple junction.’
- ‘The Beysehir-Hoyran Nappes were emplaced southwards from a Mesozoic ocean basin to the north of the Tauride carbonate platform.’
- ‘But an Earth-like ocean basin is the hometown favorite.’
- ‘Once an ocean basin begins to cool or warm anomalously, it generally tends to stay that way for several years and even decades.’
- ‘They do this during long periods of complete darkness in the middle of the ocean basin where echoes take 10 to 20 minutes to return.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.