Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
At infrequent or irregular intervals; now and then.‘we met up occasionally for a drink’‘very occasionally the condition can result in death’
sometimes, from time to time, now and then, every now and then, now and again, every now and again, at times, every so often, once in a while, every once in a while, on occasion, on occasions, on the odd occasion, periodically, at intervals, irregularly, sporadically, spasmodically, infrequently, intermittently, on and off, off and onView synonyms
- ‘Football is occasionally a rough sport, but politics is always a dirty undertaking.’
- ‘I patted it occasionally, which had no impact, and left sticky residue on my palms.’
- ‘The Plan was always to live a varied life and to write about it occasionally.’
- ‘Once you chill out and learn to only glance occasionally at the display, it's all much better.’
- ‘Think of me fondly while you're out there in the real world, and send me a postcard occasionally.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.