Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small decorative table for infrequent and varied use.
- ‘A weathered tree stump serves as an occasional table, river rocks adorn tabletops, and branches are used as sculpture.’
- ‘Intricate mosaic mirrors and occasional tables are very popular.’
- ‘The occasional table is made from glass and matt nickel-effect tubing and measures 60 by 50 centimetres.’
- ‘Similarly, remove any extraneous items of furniture that are cluttering up your rooms such as occasional tables, CD storage racks and beanbags.’
- ‘In October 1999 Connolly and Stevens launched their first range of contemporary furniture, a collection of occasional tables entitled Aoni.’
- ‘His carved maple and glass occasional table circa 1950 is a typical example.’
- ‘The 1960s era stereo, bought new from Sears & Roebuck, still sits on the marble top occasional table that belonged to my grandmother.’
- ‘Prices range from £690 for an occasional table to £2,735 for an outdoor dining table.’
- ‘In the back parlor there are just one small sofa, two chairs, a scattering of occasional tables and an old Chickering concert grand.’
- ‘They can double as a seat and an occasional table by placing trays on top.’
- ‘The Cottier occasional table, for example, has squatter proportions than Godwin's and appears to have a glass top.’
- ‘The old one was a pretty, well-made thing that had the sporting credentials of a small occasional table.’
- ‘The first floor drawing room contains a comfortable grouping of sofas, occasional tables, frequent tables and sporadic tables.’
- ‘Now Pogey shoved his plate onto the occasional table at his end of the sofa.’
- ‘She turned away slightly, setting the plate of cake crumbs on the occasional table.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.