Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality or condition of being obstinate; stubbornness.‘his reputation for obstinacy’
stubbornness, inflexibility, intransigence, intractability, intractableness, obduracy, mulishness, pig-headedness, bull-headedness, wilfulness, self-will, strong-mindedness, contrariness, perversity, perverseness, uncooperativeness, recalcitrance, refractoriness, unmanageableness, stiffness, rigidity, steeliness, implacability, relentlessness, immovability, persistence, persistency, tenacity, tenaciousness, doggedness, pertinacity, pertinaciousness, single-mindedness, firmness, steadfastness, determinationbloody-mindedness, bolshiness, stroppinessfrowardness, contumaciousness, contumacyView synonyms
- ‘The obduracy and obstinacy of human beings is what enables them to fight for their countries, repel invaders and maintain their solidarity.’
- ‘His persistence, even obstinacy, marked him out.’
- ‘He hoped his parents would not be difficult for he was not in the mood for their stubborn obstinacy.’
- ‘Experimental films owe their sole existence to the perseverance and obstinacy of the filmmakers, sometimes at the risk of their lives.’
- ‘If Richards's film is a tribute to the tenacity of the treasure hunters, its very existence is proof of his dogged obstinacy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.