One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually treated as singular The branch of medicine and surgery concerned with childbirth and midwifery.
- ‘He was appointed a consultant in obstetrics and gynaecology at the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary in 1959.’
- ‘Most doctors go into areas where changes can still be made to patients' lives, such as surgery or obstetrics and gynaecology.’
- ‘Maggie began her career in obstetrics and gynaecology at Liverpool and King's, but then moved to St Thomas's to train in genitourinary medicine.’
- ‘The general practitioners who performed obstetrics would discuss obstetrical matters at their monthly meetings.’
- ‘High risk obstetrics and neonatal intensive care are high cost, low volume specialties.’
- ‘The rate of caesarean sections has been climbing for the past 25 years, and many people with an interest in obstetrics feel it is too high.’
- ‘He went on to the Hammersmith Hospital and moved to Ibidan, Nigeria, to help set up the medical school as its first professor of obstetrics and gynaecology.’
- ‘He was like a physician who simultaneously mastered cardiovascular surgery, obstetrics, oncology and neurology.’
- ‘When I was a final year medical student at Birmingham University it was customary to gain your first experience of obstetrics and gynaecology in a different region.’
- ‘The number of training posts in obstetrics and gynaecology has continued to fall over the past three years, leaving the specialty facing a deficit of consultants.’
- ‘He said they planned to take on extra clinicians in respiratory medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology.’
- ‘Abandoning surgery for obstetrics, he became physician to Queen Charlotte and delivered all her children.’
- ‘There are 19 doctors employed in the hospital's obstetrics and gynaecology department, which is part of the women and children's service division.’
- ‘As an immediate step consultants want to see an increase in the number of consultants in obstetrics and gynaecology.’
- ‘For some specialties, obstetrics in particular, medicine may be among the worst small-business sectors in America.’
- ‘During my specialist registrar rotation in obstetrics and gynaecology last year, I was posted to a busy district general hospital in Northern Ireland.’
- ‘Possible adverse events were detected by two nurses in medicine and surgery and two midwives in obstetrics.’
- ‘However, as an intern on rotation to obstetrics and gynaecology, I feel that I must have attended a billion deliveries this month.’
- ‘King Edward Hospital in Perth centred on the treatment of obstetrics and gynaecology cases.’
- ‘Newer types of triage include mental health, cardiology, obstetrics, and nurse triage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.