One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An administrative division or region in Russia and the former Soviet Union, and in some constituent republics of the former Soviet Union.
- ‘The WHO report on multidrug resistance only surveyed two oblasts in the Russian Federation, Ivanovo and Tomsk.’
- ‘McLure tells us that the Siberian oblast of Tyumen, with 2 percent of Russia's people, yields 65 percent of Russia's oil.’
- ‘In the 1990s, governors of oblasts (administrative units roughly comparable to states) and presidents of republics acquired significant political autonomy.’
- ‘Ukraine has twenty-four administrative units - oblasts - almost all named for their capitals.’
- ‘The prison authorities in the oblast targeted the social harm that crime causes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.