One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of sorcery practised especially in the Caribbean.‘he knows the value of my power of obeah’
- ‘You see somebody with a beautiful religious artifact, and you don't want to touch it - you're afraid of some obeah jumping out of it to get you.’
- ‘Informal social control occurs through peer pressure, gossip, and fear of harmful magic known as obeah.’
- ‘Although it has been illegal for a long time, obeah, the traditional witchcraft of the Caribbean, still exists.’
- ‘Some still fear the African-derived black magic called obeah that is common in the Caribbean region.’
- ‘Many Creoles and Garifuna believe in obeah, or witchcraft.’
Akan, from bayi ‘sorcery’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.