One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sideways and upwards movement of the edge of a crustal plate over the margin of an adjacent plate.‘the granitic magmas formed when the ophiolite complex was obducted on to the continental margin’
- ‘The Papua New Guinea continental crust appears to be underthrusting the adjacent marginal basin and obduction of the ophiolite is occurring in an uphill direction.’
- ‘During the Cretaceous, however, an ocean basin existed in this area, either as a remnant ocean that had escaped Jurassic obduction or as a small Cretaceous pull-apart basin.’
- ‘However, even in the absence of tectonic boundary loads, ophiolitc obduction imposes significant stresses on the flexed plate.’
- ‘After obduction, there was a slow rate of subsidence, which reflects the continuing cooling of the underlying Indian lithosphere after rifting.’
- ‘Late Cretaceous obduction of ophiolite complexes onto the Indian shield has also been reported from Pakistan.’
1970s: from Latin obduct- ‘covered over’, from the verb obducere, from ob- ‘against, towards’ + ducere ‘to lead’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.