One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A western film.
- ‘Even if he won't admit Leone as a direct influence, the film reinforces the sense that samurai movies and spaghetti westerns, gangster pics and Hollywood ‘oaters’ have long since become completely intertwined.’
- ‘At the time, it was noted as being, at best, ‘one of better class oaters of the year.’’
- ‘He ornamented such unexceptional oaters as ‘The Last Outpost,’ ‘Tennessee's Partner’ and ‘Cattle Queen of Montana’.’
- ‘The genre was gasping for breath, but it would be a good decade or more before the oater died a rather undignified death.’
- ‘The popularity of the trilogy spawned better than 200 Italian-made oaters, the greatest of which is arguably Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West, which starred not Clint Eastwood but Jason Robards as its grizzled anti-hero.’
- ‘My Darling Clementine is one of his best - a richly developed, beautifully crafted oater that would go on to become one of the best-loved films of the postwar American cinema.’
- ‘No one will mistake this comedic oater for Blazing Saddles, but the script does display some occasional wicked humor, and the odd comic pairing of Carroll O'Connor and James Coburn actually works.’
- ‘Richard Boone slaps leather in the classic fifties oater, Have Gun, Will Travel’
- ‘But no matter how hard it tries, it is still steeped in a great too many of the standard formula facets of the traditional oater.’
- ‘Many cinephiles have long been aware of the ameliorative benefits to be had by the hungover individual who avails him/herself of one or more of Sergio Leone's Spanish-shot oaters during recovery.’
- ‘Paramount's decidedly adequate edition really does this film no favors, but Last Train from Gun Hill is a solid, action-packed oater that belongs in the collection of any serious classic western fan.’
- ‘These queries and dozens more come bubbling to the surface during the dragged-out running time of this sloppy soap oater.’
- ‘Fans of classic Westerns will adore the film for being more ambitious than the standard oater programmers of the period.’
- ‘While Variety wrote that the film is ‘an intensely scenic, refreshingly humanistic oater that dares to be sincere and open-hearted’.’
1950s: from oat, with allusion to horse feed; compare with the synonym horse opera.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.