Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of wine) matured in an oak barrel or other container.
- ‘The best oaked reds have the structure and concentration to cope with all that lumber: by the time they're ready to drink, the oak has become a part of the wine rather than decking sitting on top of it.’
- ‘What most cheese - be it blue, hard, soft, or crawling off the cheeseboard - really likes is a mature soft, savoury, spicy, gently oaked red with few tannins and restrained fruit.’
- ‘This is a refined, sweetly oaked, pleasantly old-fashioned red that lingers on the palate like a melody in an echo chamber.’
- ‘However, you still shouldn't serve a hefty oaked wine, such as Burgundy, at a temperature of 21°C or more, making it taste soupy or sickly.’
- ‘If, for some reason, you are not a Riesling fan, but you'd like something pleasant to drink with your smoked salmon, reliable matches include a lightly oaked Chardonnay or a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.’
- ‘There is a lightly oaked version of this wine, of course.’
- ‘This is benchmark Australian oaked Chardonnay: ripe fruit is balanced, threaded with firm acidity and finished with a twist of oak.’
- ‘The nature of his influence derives from his own palate, which favours fruity, highly coloured and heavily oaked wines.’
- ‘The Americans and Australians, on the other hand, are notorious for making heavily oaked wines, although in recent years both have been making a conscious effort to show more restraint with their use of new wood.’
- ‘In your 20s, you get more sophisticated and drink heavily oaked, New World wine (those were my Chardonnay years, when I was but green in judgement).’
- ‘This big, rich, oaked Chardonnay might have been ready to drink had it been closed with a natural cork.’
- ‘A dramatic change of pace from the overtly oaked wines from everywhere else.’
- ‘However, some have ventured and they recommend matured and oaked Chardonnays or Riesling.’
- ‘It's a soft, attractively oaked white with refreshing acidity.’
- ‘Made at Charles Back's winery cum cheese factory, this is a smoky, intense, richly oaked white with honey, lemon, lime and herbal fruit characters.’
- ‘This creamy, stylishly oaked Chardonnay, with its focused acidity and fine, citrus fruit core is hard to beat.’
- ‘Ellis is one of South Africa's leading winemakers, and this understated citrus fruity, subtly oaked Chardonnay is a triumph.’
- ‘We could choose a full-bodied, big, buttery, oaked Chardonnay to match the weight and character of the dish or we could choose a tart, fresh Sauvignon Blanc to contrast and cut through the heavy sauce.’
- ‘We enjoyed a lightly oaked Rochioli Russian River Valley 2000 Chardonnay that we bought during our last trip to California.’
- ‘Avoid heavily oaked wines, such as super-oaky California Chardonnays.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.