One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US) an attachment to a military decoration representing a twig with oak leaves and acorns, indicating distinguished action or a subsequent award of the same decoration.
- ‘During his combat career, Conroy had accumulated the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Purple Heart, and other awards.’
- ‘If the wearer has oak leaf clusters, the A goes to the wearer's right of the clusters.’
- ‘Subsequent awards will be denoted by oak leaf clusters.’
- ‘And Lt. Colonel Theodore Kalakula was awarded the Silver Star and two oak leaf clusters for saving medical supplies during a Japanese air raid and for his attack against the Japanese after the company commander had been wounded.’
- ‘And I got a good combat medal with an oak leaf cluster.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.