Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A delicate fern of woods and damp places in the uplands of northern Eurasia and North America.
- ‘Aquarius Research Natural Area is particularly rich in ferns, including Western polypody, spreading woodfern, oak fern, male fern, bracken fern, and sword fern.’
- ‘Northern oak fern is found on limestone and shale ledges and rock slopes across northern North America and around the world.’
- ‘As well as being a home to wildlife, it also has pockets of enchanted nightshade, yellow pimpernel and oak fern.’
- ‘Here we have concentrated on growing ferns, ranging from the large and leathery Blechnum chilense, to the small and frothy oak fern, Gymnocarpium dryopteris.’
- ‘A delicate Oak Fern, Gymnocarpium dryopteris, graces the shady floor of a birch forest.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.