One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rough or clumsy and unintelligent.‘oafish behaviour’
stupid, foolish, idiotic, cretinousView synonyms
- ‘And her smallness fills the room and makes everything else in it seem oafish and awkward in comparison, including me.’
- ‘When you meet him, he's this very odd combination of literate Renaissance man and oafish uncle who says embarrassing things that you wish your girlfriend hadn't heard.’
- ‘He's a nasty, stupid, oafish and worryingly devious main character and put up against Homer, it's inevitable which one the public would go for.’
- ‘To be the object of the oafish affections of such a creature, even when they are honest and profound, cannot be expected to give any genuine joy to a woman of sense and refinement.’
- ‘He called me a stupid, oafish, little girl in front of EVERYONE the night I met him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.