One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rough or clumsy and unintelligent.‘oafish behaviour’
stupid, foolish, idiotic, cretinousView synonyms
- ‘He called me a stupid, oafish, little girl in front of EVERYONE the night I met him.’
- ‘And her smallness fills the room and makes everything else in it seem oafish and awkward in comparison, including me.’
- ‘When you meet him, he's this very odd combination of literate Renaissance man and oafish uncle who says embarrassing things that you wish your girlfriend hadn't heard.’
- ‘To be the object of the oafish affections of such a creature, even when they are honest and profound, cannot be expected to give any genuine joy to a woman of sense and refinement.’
- ‘He's a nasty, stupid, oafish and worryingly devious main character and put up against Homer, it's inevitable which one the public would go for.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.