One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The fifteenth letter of the alphabet.
- ‘Little do you know, I used to be obsessed with a capital O.’
- ‘For capital O, always form a C first, and then close it up.’
- ‘Note the graceful shape of the o and s, and the fullness of the counters.’
- 1.1 Denoting the next after N in a set of items, categories, etc.
- ‘Susan Brown covers M, N, and O in her series that helps you to change your life at your own pace.’
- 1.2 A human blood type (in the ABO system) lacking both the A and B antigens. In blood transfusion, a person with blood of this group is a potential universal donor.
- ‘Type Os don't find dairy products and grains quite as user friendly as do most of the other blood types.’
- ‘There are three alleles or versions of the blood type gene: A, B, and O.’
- ‘The leading factor in weight gain for Type Os is the gluten found in wheat germ and whole wheat products, which interferes with insulin efficiency and slow down metabolic rate.’
2Nought or zero (in a sequence of numerals, especially when spoken)‘two seven o seven point six’
3A shape like that of a capital O; a circle.‘he made an O with his mouth’
- ‘Is there no way to rotate/ flip individual objects independently? e.g., when the O shape is brought into 3D it is in a vertical position.’
- ‘Pacing is especially troublesome - round shapes like "O" need less white space on either side than straight shapes like "H," of course, but there's also the question of how much white space the whole font needs.’
(on scorecards) over(s).
The chemical element oxygen.
1another spelling of oh
2Used before a name in direct address, as in prayers and poetry.‘give peace in our time, O Lord’
- ‘O Lord, save thy people.’
- ‘In the Church of England service for Evening Prayer we pray, Give peace in our time, O Lord.’
- ‘"Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; Do not be silent at my tears; For I am a stranger with You, A sojourner like all my fathers."’
Natural exclamation: first recorded in Middle English.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.