Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An insect of a large family of strikingly marked butterflies which have small forelegs that are not used for walking, including many familiar butterflies of temperate regions.Compare with vanessid
- ‘Our work includes representative taxa from all the main lineages of riodinids, lycaenids, and nymphalids.’
- ‘Hypolimnas bolina is a tropical and sub-tropical nymphalid species that is known for its aggressive territorial mate-locating behavior.’
- ‘Furthermore, these gene duplications evolved after the split between the common ancestor of nymphalid and papilionid butterflies.’
- ‘Like many nymphalid, papilionid, and hesperiid butterflies, male H. bolina occupy and defend perching sites in forest clearings and along flight paths as a means of maximizing their encounters with receptive females.’
- ‘About sixteen years ago, in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park, Schappert chanced upon an unforgettable sight: hundreds of colorful nymphalid butterflies blanketing a black bear carcass.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Nymphalidae, from Latin nympha nymph.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.