Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An insect of a large family of strikingly marked butterflies which have small forelegs that are not used for walking, including many familiar butterflies of temperate regions.Compare with vanessid
- ‘Furthermore, these gene duplications evolved after the split between the common ancestor of nymphalid and papilionid butterflies.’
- ‘Hypolimnas bolina is a tropical and sub-tropical nymphalid species that is known for its aggressive territorial mate-locating behavior.’
- ‘About sixteen years ago, in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park, Schappert chanced upon an unforgettable sight: hundreds of colorful nymphalid butterflies blanketing a black bear carcass.’
- ‘Like many nymphalid, papilionid, and hesperiid butterflies, male H. bolina occupy and defend perching sites in forest clearings and along flight paths as a means of maximizing their encounters with receptive females.’
- ‘Our work includes representative taxa from all the main lineages of riodinids, lycaenids, and nymphalids.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Nymphalidae, from Latin nympha nymph.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.