One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An insect of a large family of strikingly marked butterflies which have small forelegs that are not used for walking, including many familiar butterflies of temperate regions.Compare with vanessid
- ‘About sixteen years ago, in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park, Schappert chanced upon an unforgettable sight: hundreds of colorful nymphalid butterflies blanketing a black bear carcass.’
- ‘Furthermore, these gene duplications evolved after the split between the common ancestor of nymphalid and papilionid butterflies.’
- ‘Hypolimnas bolina is a tropical and sub-tropical nymphalid species that is known for its aggressive territorial mate-locating behavior.’
- ‘Like many nymphalid, papilionid, and hesperiid butterflies, male H. bolina occupy and defend perching sites in forest clearings and along flight paths as a means of maximizing their encounters with receptive females.’
- ‘Our work includes representative taxa from all the main lineages of riodinids, lycaenids, and nymphalids.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Nymphalidae, from Latin nympha ‘nymph’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.