One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stupid, irritating, or insignificant person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘I find Green to be an irritating little nyaff, but he is well-cast as skiver Colin.’
- ‘You know what I liked, was the advert for Big Al's conservatories (a great parody TV ad for the wee nyaff's company).’
- ‘We call on the Scottish Parliament to enact a law banning precocious, gobby, wee, nyaff, pre-pubescents from embarrassing Scotland by singing on any form of medium which is publicly broadcast.’
- ‘You wee nyaff, you're cruisin' for a bruisin'.’
- ‘‘But I thought he was a wee nyaff back then,’ she says, before letting rip with her trademark cackle.’
Mid 19th century: from Scots dialect nyaff ‘yelp, complain’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.