Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for new variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease
- ‘The OED is the only dictionary that has both vCJD and nvCJD, and it simply expands the acronyms, without indicating that the two terms are different ways of referring to the same thing.’
- ‘However, tens of thousands of people could be infected with nvCJD (scientists and statisticians are still guessing) - the incubation period of the disease is at least ten years and could be upwards of 20 years.’
- ‘The clinical and neuropathological features of Kuru include those found in nvCJD, and both diseases involve the lymporeticular system.’
- ‘That would also fit with the decades-long incubation period for CJD and nvCJD.’
- ‘The intention was to test whether nvCJD prion protein might be present in any of them and, if it was, to assess its significance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.