One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The hard woody covering around the kernel of a nut.
- ‘It is made from the luohan guo, a round brown fruit with crisp nutshells.’
- ‘Similarly, hickory, walnut, and acorn nutshells have been recovered from Late Paleoindian and Early Archaic contexts at the Hester site, Smith's Ferry, Pickens County, and Rodgers Shelter.’
- ‘Notably, however, the remains present are fruit stones and nutshells, items that would have been discarded during the final preparation of a meal or at the time of consumption.’
- ‘Soon their way veered from the shoreline, and they walked under large canopies of beech trees that dropped nutshells at their feet.’
- ‘Fruits and vegetables were available at the time according to the discovery on the same site of fruit stones, nutshells and more stools containing leeks and other vegetable matter.’
2Any of a number of bivalve molluscs occurring chiefly in cool seas.
in a nutshell
In the fewest possible words.‘she put the matter in a nutshell’
in short, briefly, in brief, to put it briefly, to cut a long story short, in a word, to sum up, in sum, to come to the point, in essence, in outlineView synonyms
- ‘So in a nutshell that's what I've been up to since Wednesday - drinking too much, not sleeping enough.’
- ‘That's pretty much the last ten years of American political history in a nutshell.’
- ‘These famous lines of Shakespeare aptly describe the human life in a nutshell as perhaps no other verse manages to do.’
- ‘This, in a nutshell, summarizes the uphill battle of perception facing hedge funds.’
- ‘Yet, in a nutshell, it lacks the originality that it would take to launch a musical revolution.’
- ‘Here, then, is their perspective in a nutshell, and it's a despicable sight.’
- ‘Its brief, in a nutshell, is to showcase works of art to as broad a spectrum of people as possible.’
- ‘There, in a nutshell, is the source material for countless books.’
- ‘The news from all my friends in a nutshell: our parents are getting old and sick.’
- ‘And this, in a nutshell, is the story of Portuguese wine over the past 20 years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.