Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic practical details.‘the nuts and bolts of making a movie’
practical details, basic details, fundamentals, basics, practicalities, essentials, mechanicsthe nitty-gritty, the ins and outs, the brass tacksView synonyms
- ‘What I'm attempting to do here is get down to the nuts and bolts.’
- ‘Massenet learned his craft by playing timpani at the Paris Opéra, and really understood the nuts and bolts of theatrical production.’
- ‘Her tale, the least interesting of the three, details the nuts and bolts of her past and what it takes to break free for a better future.’
- ‘Further detailed discussions on the nuts and bolts of the finance deal will now take place with the DfES.’
- ‘Transnational culture-ideology practices are the nuts and bolts and the glue that hold the system together.’
- ‘He tends to hire ambitious people who have their eye on a startup and a knack for the nuts and bolts of practice.’
- ‘The book is also a marvelous insight into the nuts and bolts of medical practice.’
- ‘The announcement was long on strategy and short on the nuts and bolts of how the forums will work in practice.’
- ‘At the same time he was always interested in practicalities, in the nuts and bolts.’
- ‘The internet is the mechanism - the nuts and bolts - for physically connecting computer networks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.