One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hostel providing residential accommodation for the nurses employed by a hospital.
- ‘A new residential development has also been developed in a former nurses' home in Haxby Road, and accommodation for the rest of the students has been found within the city's private rented accommodation stock.’
- ‘Plans to build nurses' homes on a greenfield site in Basildon have provoked protests from an MP and conservationists.’
- ‘When Brandesburton Hospital closed 14 years ago, the former nurses' home at the Westwood Hospital, in Beverley, was turned into a home for some of the long-term residents.’
- ‘Nurses demonstrated outside central London's Middlesex Hospital days before Christmas in protest at lack of heating and appalling conditions in nurses' homes.’
- ‘He was appointed medical officer to the nurses and was in charge of the sick bay in the nurses' home.’
- ‘Ironically, a load of those key workers will no doubt be hospital staff given the boot from the nurses' home on Vanbrugh Hill a few years ago, when that was sold for private development.’
- ‘And 200 polling cards were sent to a former nurses' home in Mile End which is now used as offices, he said.’
- ‘One night in the nurses' home, I woke with the distinct sense of a ‘presence’ in my room, hovering over the bed.’
- ‘They worked from 7am to 8pm and they had to be in the nurses' home by 10 pm each night.’
- ‘So far, some 20 rooms have been acquired in the nurses' homes by reclaiming offices and two houses near the hospital have been converted into flats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.