One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hostel providing residential accommodation for the nurses employed by a hospital.
- ‘Plans to build nurses' homes on a greenfield site in Basildon have provoked protests from an MP and conservationists.’
- ‘And 200 polling cards were sent to a former nurses' home in Mile End which is now used as offices, he said.’
- ‘When Brandesburton Hospital closed 14 years ago, the former nurses' home at the Westwood Hospital, in Beverley, was turned into a home for some of the long-term residents.’
- ‘Ironically, a load of those key workers will no doubt be hospital staff given the boot from the nurses' home on Vanbrugh Hill a few years ago, when that was sold for private development.’
- ‘So far, some 20 rooms have been acquired in the nurses' homes by reclaiming offices and two houses near the hospital have been converted into flats.’
- ‘He was appointed medical officer to the nurses and was in charge of the sick bay in the nurses' home.’
- ‘Nurses demonstrated outside central London's Middlesex Hospital days before Christmas in protest at lack of heating and appalling conditions in nurses' homes.’
- ‘A new residential development has also been developed in a former nurses' home in Haxby Road, and accommodation for the rest of the students has been found within the city's private rented accommodation stock.’
- ‘They worked from 7am to 8pm and they had to be in the nurses' home by 10 pm each night.’
- ‘One night in the nurses' home, I woke with the distinct sense of a ‘presence’ in my room, hovering over the bed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.