Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people of central Nigeria.
- ‘Judith Perani and Norma H. Wolff have a combined total of over fifty years of research experience focused on the Nupe, Yoruba, and Hausa.’
- ‘Other large ethnic groups include the Ibibio, the Ijaw, the Kanuri, the Nupe, and the Tiv.’
2[mass noun] The Benue-Congo language of the Nupe, with over 1 million speakers.
- ‘William Fagg was a man of lists, and many appear in the notebooks: lists of words for ironworking and tools, written in Hausa and Nupe and with their English translation; of purchases and prices (in shillings); of Igbo mask names.’
- ‘English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.’
Relating to the Nupe or their language.
- ‘For most of the 1870's Bishop Crowther established a formal alliance with the rulers of the Nupe kingdom as the southern outpost of the Sokoto Caliphate which was ostensibly being erected on the basis of a slave economy.’
- ‘This discussion reveals the factors that contributed to the decline of Hausa and Nupe cloth by the end of the century in contrast to Yoruba aso-oke cloth, which was as vital as ever.’
- ‘The first category, for example, concerns Hausa, Nupe, and Yoruba boubous.’
- ‘R. E. Bradbury points out that the ‘multiplicity of settlement in the relatively small Ekperi tribe is due to scattering, during the last century, by Nupe raiders’.’
- ‘Part 2, on the development of Hausa, Nupe, and Yoruba cloth and dress traditions, provides an in-depth look at these three areas over time, enriched by the authors' extensive field research.’
- ‘Gardi acknowledges the rich literature on Hausa Nupe boubou forms and embroidery and mentions recent work on Ghana.’
- ‘There are more than 250 photographs from northern Nigeria, Nupe country, and the Jos Plateau.’
The name of a former kingdom at the confluence of the Niger and Benue Rivers in West Africa.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.