One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Japanese martial arts weapon consisting of two hardwood sticks joined together by a chain, rope, or thong.
- ‘We scurried along walls and zig-zagged from floor to floor effortlessly, battering demonic beetles with nunchakus, all to the accompaniment of a sweeping symphonic score.’
- ‘He'll find other weapons during his travels, like nunchaku and bows and arrows.’
- ‘The fan club has chosen three designs of Lee in his classic poses - all featuring a bare-torsoed Lee, two including Lee's signature weapon the nunchaku - and fans are invited to vote for their favorite design on the Internet.’
- ‘Barring martial arts kit such as nunchakus, throwing stars and kubotans is understandable.’
- ‘The nunchaku popularised in Bruce Lee films and used by Japanese ninjas is only meant to be used by experts in combat sports.’
Japanese, from Okinawa dialect.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.