One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Japanese martial arts weapon consisting of two hardwood sticks joined together by a chain, rope, or thong.
- ‘The nunchaku popularised in Bruce Lee films and used by Japanese ninjas is only meant to be used by experts in combat sports.’
- ‘The fan club has chosen three designs of Lee in his classic poses - all featuring a bare-torsoed Lee, two including Lee's signature weapon the nunchaku - and fans are invited to vote for their favorite design on the Internet.’
- ‘He'll find other weapons during his travels, like nunchaku and bows and arrows.’
- ‘Barring martial arts kit such as nunchakus, throwing stars and kubotans is understandable.’
- ‘We scurried along walls and zig-zagged from floor to floor effortlessly, battering demonic beetles with nunchakus, all to the accompaniment of a sweeping symphonic score.’
Japanese, from Okinawa dialect.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.