One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resembling a coin or coins.
- ‘The differential diagnosis includes nummular eczema, pityriasis rosea, Lyme disease, tinea versicolor, contact dermatitis, granuloma annulare, and psoriasis.’
- ‘The condition, known as anterior stromal keratitis or nummular keratitis, is characterized by multiple fine granular infiltrates in the anterior corneal stroma below the epithelial layer.’
- ‘(Australia-Australian Family Physician, October 1999, p.1021.) Discoid or nummular eczema presents as thin, ‘coin-shaped’ erythematous plaques that often have a scaly center.’
- ‘I have been plagued with nummular eczema for years.’
- ‘Group 1 included 17 cases of early-stage MF (IA and IB of the TNM classification) and 25 cases of large plaque parapsoriasis, nummular eczema, or follicular mucinosis.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin nummulus (diminutive of nummus ‘coin’) + -ar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.