Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, especially the positive integers.
- ‘He corresponded with Gabriel Cramer on mechanics, geometry, probability, number theory and the differential and integral calculus.’
- ‘König worked on a wide range of topics in algebra, number theory, geometry, set theory, and analysis.’
- ‘His main research topics were number theory, probability theory and mathematical statistics.’
- ‘Other topics he worked on include algebraic geometry, number theory and integral equations.’
- ‘He worked on convex functions, the Laplace transform, number theory and the mathematical theory of genetics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.