One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sign #, used to introduce a number (as in question #2).
- ‘These are marked with a number sign.’
- ‘Letterpress printers have long grouped the ampersand along with other assorted marks (including the asterisk and number sign) under the loose rubric of "allsorts."’
- ‘These are used in the same way, but rather than using a dot before the name, you use a number sign.’
- ‘A number sign indicates positions with maximum mutual information content.’
- ‘The number sign indicates nodes with bootstrap values less than 50%.’
- ‘The advantage of this system of nine number signs and a zero is that it allows for calculations to be easily made.’
- ‘The two loci marked with a number sign indicate those analyzed by quantitative PCR in the previous study.’
- ‘The positions of these neurons are marked by a number sign and an asterisk, respectively.’
- ‘To do stem searching, use a number sign after the word.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.