One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A line on which numbers are marked at intervals, used to illustrate simple numerical operations.
- ‘These jumps from one number to the next can be visualized as arcs of circles along a number line.’
- ‘Primes are also fascinating because they seem to be scattered randomly through the number line - it's impossible to predict where they might pop up.’
- ‘The ordinary numbers (or real numbers as mathematicians call them) sat on the number line running East-West in this map of imaginary numbers, while the North-South direction corresponded to the imaginary part.’
- ‘So the real numbers are the numbers that you probably already know: they're the ones on the number line.’
- ‘The findings suggest that understanding relationships among numbers involves some sort of spatial tool, such as visualizing a number line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.