One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme that cleaves the chains of nucleotides in nucleic acids into smaller units.
- ‘These DNA-binding proteins include polymerases, helicases, nucleases, isomerases, ligases, histones, and others.’
- ‘Plants then synthesize antimicrobial substances, including the protein chitinase, which degrades the cell walls of fungi, and enzymes called nucleases, which break apart the ribonucleic acid of viruses.’
- ‘Such hydrolytic enzymes as cystein proteinases, serine proteinases, and nucleases are highly induced during xylogenesis.’
- ‘When both sets of fingers are bound, the cleavage domain can dimerize to form an active nuclease and cleave the DNA at the sites indicated by carats.’
- ‘In Belgium, as late as 1945, Gratia's group observed that nucleases (RNase and DNase) had no effect on four tested bacteriophages of various origins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.