Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cylindrical or round spout at the end of a pipe, hose, or tube used to control a jet of gas or liquid.‘he twisted the nozzle of the shower head’[with modifier] ‘petrol pump nozzles’
nozzle, head, spray, rose, atomizer, sprinkler, sprinkler head, spout, noseView synonyms
- ‘Major oil companies have recently agreed to standardise the colour of their nozzles and hoses for unleaded and diesel pumps to reduce customer confusion.’
- ‘Water with a sprinkler set to a fine spray or a garden hose with a mist nozzle.’
- ‘Other ideas range from advanced cabin cameras to hidden nozzles that could pump sleeping gas into the fuselage.’
- ‘The chocolate dipped shortbread should have been piped with a fluted nozzle.’
- ‘An inert gas then propels the liquid through an ultrasonic nozzle that atomizes it.’
- ‘Movement was controlled by downward-pointing nozzles which could be directed by the pilot.’
- ‘The rain continued to sprinkle lightly on them as though from the nozzle of a shower hose.’
- ‘The solution is delivered to the nozzles via a separate hose line which runs along the boom span using it as a support mechanism to mount each nozzle.’
- ‘Hoses would need trigger nozzles, and washing the car on the pavement would be banned, along with using a hose to wash down paths and driveways.’
- ‘The opening and closing of the fuel injector nozzles is controlled by a solenoid valve.’
- ‘When the liquid flows through the nozzle, the propellant rapidly expands into gas.’
- ‘The soft batter is piped through a star nozzle into hot oil.’
- ‘Set your hose nozzle to a fine mist so the water can soak in without causing erosion or disturbing the seeds.’
- ‘Complete filling the tank with water, then flush the cleaning solution through the boom, hoses, and nozzles.’
- ‘Most current agricultural sprayers use hydraulic nozzles to meter and atomize the liquid into drops.’
- ‘To increase performance, some low pressure spray nozzles are mounted on drop tubes below the pivot pipeline.’
- ‘Its accessories include the necessary hoses, wands, nozzles, hydrant adapters and an injector.’
- ‘Design for winter operation must include self-draining pipes and winter nozzles if sprinkler irrigation is used.’
- ‘I can feel the eyes on my back as I grab the hose and insert the nozzle into my car.’
- ‘A variation of this uses a stream of gas or liquid in the rocket nozzle to divert the exhaust flow.’
Early 17th century: from nose + -le.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.