One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in an insect) the tergum or dorsal exoskeleton of the thorax.
- ‘Of the three regions of adult cuticle scored for ectopic bristles, the dorsal notum had the largest number, so data from that region are likely to be most reliable.’
- ‘These animals typically had extreme morphological defects including split and malformed nota and greatly reduced eyes.’
- ‘The frizzled pathway has been shown to be a key regulator of planar polarity for hairs on the wing, ommatidia in the eye, and sensory bristles on the notum.’
- ‘The notum is well-developed, but it is impossible to tell if the eyes are large or meet medially.’
- ‘These mutant pupae have defects including shortened or bent legs, bristle defects, a split notum, and wing abnormalities.’
Late 19th century: from Greek nōton ‘back’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.