One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of being famous or well known for some bad quality or deed.‘the song has gained some notoriety in the press’‘she has a certain notoriety’
infamy, bad name, bad reputation, disrepute, ill repute, ill fame, dishonour, discredit, obloquy, opprobriumView synonyms
- ‘The show looks at the literary fame and social notoriety of the Romantic poet during his life and his contemporary legacy.’
- ‘You have a lot of people that come forward that want the fame and the infamy of the notoriety.’
- ‘And that is not taking into account the stigma and notoriety associated with divorcees.’
- ‘His fear of notoriety and censure may have exercised a good check on his behaviour but it doesn't essentially change anything.’
- ‘The obese relative had earned notoriety for his aversion to exercise before death consumed him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.