One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of notifying someone or something.‘we have yet to receive formal notification of the announcement’
informing, telling, apprising, alerting, warninginformation, word, notice, advice, news, intelligenceannouncement, reporting, declaration, communication, disclosure, divulgence, publication, publishingView synonyms
- ‘Some 9 million account holders have received notifications that they are eligible for repayments, according to the agreement.’
- ‘The notification must specifically inform individuals of their rights under the Act.’
- ‘The officers have been informed of the decision verbally and a letter giving formal notification has been sent to them.’
- ‘The only notification there has been was a notice in an obscure family history magazine.’
- ‘I found it surprising that notifications of this nature are done solely by post but John assures me that this is how referees are notified about what matches they are to officiate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.