Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action of notifying someone or something.‘we have yet to receive formal notification of the announcement’
informing, telling, apprising, alerting, warninginformation, word, notice, advice, news, intelligenceannouncement, reporting, declaration, communication, disclosure, divulgence, publication, publishingView synonyms
- ‘I found it surprising that notifications of this nature are done solely by post but John assures me that this is how referees are notified about what matches they are to officiate.’
- ‘The only notification there has been was a notice in an obscure family history magazine.’
- ‘The officers have been informed of the decision verbally and a letter giving formal notification has been sent to them.’
- ‘The notification must specifically inform individuals of their rights under the Act.’
- ‘Some 9 million account holders have received notifications that they are eligible for repayments, according to the agreement.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.