Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action of notifying someone or something:‘we have yet to receive formal notification of the announcement’
informing, telling, apprising, alerting, warninginformation, word, notice, advice, news, intelligenceannouncement, reporting, declaration, communication, disclosure, divulgence, publication, publishingView synonyms
- ‘The officers have been informed of the decision verbally and a letter giving formal notification has been sent to them.’
- ‘The only notification there has been was a notice in an obscure family history magazine.’
- ‘The notification must specifically inform individuals of their rights under the Act.’
- ‘Some 9 million account holders have received notifications that they are eligible for repayments, according to the agreement.’
- ‘I found it surprising that notifications of this nature are done solely by post but John assures me that this is how referees are notified about what matches they are to officiate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.